|Interior & Exterior Earthen Finishes Class
March 27-29, 2015
Earthen plasters are a great way to finish just about any wall substrate in the home. They create a soft, natural and breathable final plaster layer which regulates humidity, smells and sound in the room. adobeisnotsoftware is pleased to have Kurt Gardella return to California for three days of intensive instruction in interior and exterior earthen finish practices. Attendees will leave the class with knowledge of how to specify, mix and apply earthen plasters and clay paints – the class is suitable for both building professionals and do-it-your-selfers.
- Finish selection for conventional and earthen buildings
- Soil and Material Selection, Sourcing and Testing
- Use of earthen materials to improve the thermal performance of existing buildings (adobe brick, cob and light-straw-clay infill for frame walls)
- Vapor Permeability, Water Resistance and Stabilization
- Tools and Application Techniques
- Application around Doors, Windows and Other Openings
- Pigments, and Finishing
- Conventional and Traditional Plaster Reinforcing Techniques
- Code considerations
This is a hands-on class. Attendees will have the opportunity to get dirty and use tools and equipment typical of adobe construction. Due to the course format, enrollment will be limited to 14 individuals. In the unlikely event of inclement weather, instruction will occur indoors. Children under the age of 14 unfortunately cannot be accommodated.
Kurt Gardella teaches adobe construction at Santa Fe Community College, is Director of Education for Adobe in Action, and is certified as an earth-building specialist by the German Dachverband Lehm.
Ben Loescher is a licensed architect, founder of adobeisnotsoftware and principal of Loescher Meachem Architects.